Friday, September 30, 2005

Search Engine Advertising - What Works Best?

In a recent article (Sept 30/05) in WebProNews, Jim Hedger summarizes a number of studies that look at which listings searchers are more likely to click onto: "organic" (free) or paid (ppc/Adwords).

His conclusions boil down to this:

1. Searchers tend to trust organic (free) listings more than paid ones -- one study suggested a ratio of 6:1 in favour of free listings.

2. Being at the top of the search page is extremely important. Positions 1 and 2 get about 2/3 of the clicks; positions 9 and 10 get only about 1/10 of the clicks.

3. Site descriptions that show up in free searches are often what determines which listing gets the click. "Search users are reading before clicking."

For two programs that are aimed specifically at influencing search engine rankings see:

Article Promotions - Original articles written about your service, with links to your site, and then published on multiple websites.

Power Listings - Your site featured in search engine friendly listings and published on multiple sites.

3 comments:

Fred said...

Good afternoon, I find it very refreshing to occasionally find a post or topic such as yours with a unusual theme completely. My wife liked it too.

I must admit I tend to have a soft spot for sites related to article writing tips and /or sites that have a central theme around article writing tips type items. Probably the webmaster in me.

Once again, thank you, and I hope you don't mind if I visit again sometime.

10 Best Home Based Business said...

Delightful blog. I devote my spare time just
looking for great blogs such as yours. I treasure this
site and will go back!
I want you to stop and compare with my home based business in canada blog.

Ray said...

Good Morning, I find reading blog articles like yours most rewarding at times. It enhances the experiences of life in many cases.

Being a physician, amongst other things I often have a soft spot for blogs related to article writing tips and /or sites that are built around article writing tips type items.

Once again, thank you, and I will look for your posts again in the future. :-)